Monday 14 February 2011

Manners on TfL and in general for that matter.

So a few weeks ago while I was waiting patiently for the central line at Holborn station I was lucky enough to have the doors open right in front of me! I was stood behind the line so there wasn't too much space between me and the door, (I have no spatial awareness so I shan't attempt to guess the precise distance). Anyway, since it appeared that no one was exiting the carriage I attempted to board the train when suddenly a man who appeared out of no where and side stepped into the narrow space between myself and the door and rushed onto the train, running like he'd seen gold (i.e. A seat).

I was taken aback and in shock. I felt as though not only my personal space was violated but as if I had been done wrong. Isn't it common courtesy to follow a loose queue system to board trains? It took me a few milliseconds to register the occurrence that had just taken place. Another gentleman, who I later discovered was an acquaintance to the first gestured 'after you,' and after thanking him I entered the carriage.

As I stood in the aisle of the train, I heard the friend state: 'koi sharam nahin hai,' translated loosely as [he] has no shame for those who aren’t familiar with Hindi. The guy promptly stood up realising his friend was speaking about him and offered me his throne. (i.e. Tube seat). I politely refused. Interestingly he avoided any eye contact with me and his friend for the duration of the journey, choosing instead to busy himself with his phone.

Now the question today is are we losing our reputation of being one of the most polite nations. And why is it that Londoners quite often are considered an exception to this claim... Is it just the sheer volume of people in London that force us to think of number one? Also it has come to my attention that there are people who are a fair deal more respectful and polite than us British folk. In Japan there are different levels of 'bows' and titles for everyone you talk to etc.

How is it that we manage to remember our ‘ps and qs’ when it comes to inanimate objects (somehow apologising to walls when we walk into them and thanking cash machines) but somehow are oblivious of the people around us. Old people no longer seem to be getting seats on buses, pregnant women are regularly ignored, it often seems as though we eliminate and minimise conversation with people around us. And why on earth are we always in a rush? (Minus those like myself who usually run 15minutes late everywhere!!)

When I compare a typical bus journey in Southampton to that in London it's difficult not to see the difference. In London when using the bus people avoid eye contact, tap their oyster card and shuffle on down the bus. Contrasting Southampton where you have a mini conversation with the driver, greeting and thanking the driver after you purchase or swipe a ticket. Once I got on a bus with tonnes of bags and the driver even stood up, took my ticket from me, swiped it and returned it to me. (There’s no glass shield, blocking the driver and the passengers in case you Londoners are wondering.)

Now, on the flip side, are we polite to the point of being fake? Is it that when we apologise and thank people we're no longer genuine? Are we just saying these things to fill an awkward silence and do we feel as though we’re uttering these things from societal pressures? I mean, I personally feel rude when I don’t thank others and am unappreciative of their assistance. It’s often very endearing to hear people express their gratefulness over the little things that frequently go unnoticed. 

So guys and girls, my request this week is as follows, say thanks more often. SMILE!! Spread a little gratitude around, it seriously does make a difference. I know whilst I was working at Waitrose I found it endearing when people acknowledged my work, especially over the Christmas manic periods… It really can make the difference between a good and bad day! (And those of you who regularly thank printers and apologise to machinery, you are excluded!)

Have a good week, and thanks for sparing the time to read my latest post!

-K

1 comment:

  1. LOL I have apologised to two lamposts and said 'thank you' to quite a few cash machines before!!!

    Maybe that's a little excessive (!) but I wouldn't want it any other way - okay, maybe I should stick to thanking/apologising to humans only lol but I definitely agree with you that a little bit of manners and a nice 'thank you' always make the day just a little bit more pleasant =]. I don't think it's fake - while you may not feel like you owe your arms, legs, and your life to the person, there is nothing fake about acknowledging any effort they have made for you, big or small =].

    I know what you mean about London, too - it often strikes me when I'm in Cambridge/Liverpool/Warwick, everyone on the bus, the trains, in taxis, general public are just sooo NICE! I can see why Londoners have a reputation for being 'stuck up' or, basically, miserable bastards in comparison lol.

    ReplyDelete